Bard is placed on 381 meters on sea level and it is the narrowest passage of the Aosta Valley, where rocks slope down to the Dora Baltea river.
Bard extends between the mountain and the rock with the famous fortress.
The narrow passage between the river Dora and the rocky precipice had always been the only access to enter the Aosta Valley.
This rock had always had a defensive role and given its strategic position had always been used by Salassi people, Romans and since 1242 by the Savoy family to control all over transit.
Bard is a medieval village and still have some archeological remains as the consular road to Gaul, arches, walls, filled mullioned windows with two lights and cross windows.
In Bard we can find the same mildclimate of the near village of Hône, which is on the right side pf the river. In Bard as in Hône are common the same farming activities.
In Middle Ages the village belonged as Champorcher Valley to the lords of Bard, but the modern fortress was built in 1838.
The medieval layout is unchanged and it still conserves a number of noteworthy 15th and 16th-century residences as Casa Challant, Casa del Vescovo, Casa of sundial, Casa Ciucca, Casa Valperga, and Nicole’s palace, an elegant 18th- century palace which belonged to the last counts of Bard, the Nicole family.
Casa Challant lodged an exhibition about the restoration of the fortress and of the village.
The “Opera Ferdinando” will lodge the fortress museum and the frontiers museum. The first will represent the history of the fortress of Bard in relation to the evolution of military architecture and the development of fire arms, with a particular reference to the system of fortification in the Alps. The second will explain the evolution of the alpine frontiers during the centuries.
Nightshot about military architecture